Boost Curb Appeal with a Landscape Maintenance Checklist!
Just like interior of your home or business, maximizing exterior curb appeal requires year-round maintenance. Some tasks need to be completed weekly or bi-weekly while others seasonally or once per year. It can be difficult to keep track of everything you need to do for lawn maintenance, so we have created this checklist to keep you on track and maximize your property's curb appeal!
Weeding / Prevention
- Removing the entire weed by its roots is the surest way to get rid of it.
- Apply weed pre-emergent treatments which kills seeds in the spring when the plants are dormant.
- Herbicides do work but use caution when applying. They will kill not only the weed but also other nearby plants.
- Keep weeds in plant beds to a minimum by maintaining a solid layer of mulch year-round.
- Maintain a turf management program to improve your lawn curb appeal. Healthy, well maintained grass grows thick and will choke out most weeds.
Mowing / Trimming
- Don't cut grass too short. Longer grass is healthier and retains water better.
- Trimming and edging will keep your sidewalks and driveways looking crisp.
- Aerate your lawn to see the best results when seeding. Aerating provides the curb appeal solution to soil compaction and prepares your lawn for the upcoming season.
- Aeration also allows water and sunlight to better penetrate to the roots of your grass seed.
- Depending on climate and grass type, fertilize your lawn and plant beds regularly during the growing season.
Shrub / Tree Care
- Shrubs and trees require seasonal pruning. Prune away branches that are getting out of control.
- Many hedges need to be re-shaped several times during the summer to enhance curb appeal.
Watering / Irrigation Maintenance
- Start up your irrigation system in spring to ensure it is operating properly and timers are working. Consider rain sensors so you are not over-watering during wet periods.
- Winterize your irrigation system during the fall by draining the water from the pipes and turning off the timer.
- Remove all leaves from grassy areas year-round. The layer of leaves can restrict the amount of light reaching the lawn and trap water near the roots, resulting in turf disease.
- Fleas, ticks and fire ants can be difficult to control so it's important use professional grade solutions that are both environmentally safe and effective.
- Other animals such as deer, rabbits, and squirrels can damage your vegetation if precautions aren't taken. Use methods that are humane and safe for pets and children.
- Apply a fresh layer of mulch to protect plants and increase curb appeal.
- Rake out the leftover leaves and trash that has built up over the cold months.
- Install seasonal color to add beautiful curb appeal in your plant beds.
If this all sounds like a lot of work, it's because it is. Most people don't have the time or even the desire,
to keep up with these things on a regular basis. Carolina Curb Appeal would be happy to take the worry off your
plate by providing professional level landscape services guaranteed to maximize curb appeal.
Take back your weekends by letting us handle your lawn maintenance checklist:
- Weekly lawn care including mowing, trimming and edging
- Seasonal aeration and over-seeding
- Fertilizer and weed control
- Mulch installation
- Shrub and tree care
- Irrigation and drainage solutions
- Spring/fall clean up and color installation
Contact Us for a free consultation.